May 8, 2009
Travellers have set up camp in the vacant MFI car park in Drake Street, Rochdale according to the Rochdale Observer.
There were also reports of travellers using the Kwik Save site at Well i’th’ Lane, although this group of travellers had already moved on when the Rochdale Observer checked on Monday 13th April.
This comes three months after the Daily Telegraph had warned in an article that the number of traveller sites being forced on councils has more than doubled in two years.
Last year Rochdale Borough Council spent more than £23,000 cleaning up after travellers had used eight sites around Rochdale within just three months. Money was spent on employing bailiffs to move the travellers and clean up the waste left behind costing around £3,000 per site.
A council spokesman told the Observer they were aware of the current situation but were investigating what could be done about it.
Rochdale Councillor Mohammed Sharif, representing the Milkstone and Deeplish ward said:
“I reported the problem on Friday night. It’s private land so I don’t think the council can do much – they will have to get in touch with the land owners and work together.”